13.8.07

University experience.

Only the Educated are free.

-Epictetus


So I sit here in a local coffee shop after finishing up the last touches of my school preparation.

I think I mentioned briefly in another post how I had a scholarship through the foster agency that I met my current Aunt and Uncle through about two years ago.

The idea of the scholarship is to go all the way through school without having significant debt; or none at all.

Which I’m starting to see is an amazing thing to be able to do. Go through my entire education and out the other side, debt free.

Since I first was initiated into the state system, the one thing I enjoyed about the foster care system was that it would give you the opportunity to start over, to have a whole new life with a whole new family.

Whether that is for good or bad you could always start over.

I think some people as children going through the system, bank on that idea.

Now that I’m an adult, having adult responsibilities gives me the chance to make something for myself.

The best way I can do that for myself at this point was to take full advantage of my educational opportunities, right along with the financial ones.

Have I mentioned for this semester I only have one book I had to buy? To be honest I really didn’t buy it, I did however buy the gas I had to use to go to the agency to pick it up.

One communication book cost $91.16.

Sometimes we wonder why not everyone goes to a college or university at my age. It costs me (as an in-state resident) around fifteen-thousand dollars a year to go to school here (Room and board added together with my tuition).

My aunt explained it in a good way.

“So the on campus recreational facility is free right?” I asked her.

“Not free, just at ‘No additional charge’”

We both laughed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Make the most of your time in school, especially if you have someone else helping you pay for it. That's the best thing you can do for yourself.


View My Stats