11.8.07

The New Beginning

A Man travels the world over in search of what he needs and returns home to find it.

-George Moore


I went from everything I knew, to find something I never thought I would be able to find. Ten days before I moved I spent most of my time consoling most of my immediate family that 'of course I'll keep in contact' or 'Yes Mom, I really will be moving half-way around the world to try to find the part of me I thought was missing.'

Hindsight is an amazing thing.

Five days I started buying the things I thought I would miss while abroad, one truly American concept.

So I packed Peanut butter, hair products, and enough razors to shave my face well into the next century. Because of course, why would the Scottish shave? I forgot how cold it is mid-December that close to the arctic circle, rather how wet and cold.

The night before I left with my laptop on the road, my foster family hosted a party and invited my mother, grandmother, aunt and both my sisters. It felt as if I was an Eskimo grandfather about to be sent off on a block of ice.

Which is fine, because of course, being cold and wet is right up my alley of world climates. That is before I started living in Scotland.

Now I digress, honestly I love everything about the country I gotten to know for a little over five months. I got to grab a 'pint down at the local village pub, spend my hard earned weekly living of fifty quid. Dance at a school hosted Ceilidh, happened to be one of the most heart warming things I have ever done. Doing something that has been part of the community I was staying in for hundreds of years. Plus they had 1.00 drinks...c'mon.

My flight had four different stop overs. B-town to Denver, Denver to Philadelphia, Philadelphia to Manchester, United Kingdom, Manchester UK to Glasgow , Scotland.

I remember flying into Manchester jamming to The Clash- London calling
Quantcast

It's amazing being glared at by a very staunch looking Englishwoman. Wondering of course why I don't have the address for my place of residence for the next 6 months.

"You're lucky I'm in a good mood." She glares down at me.

She stamped my work visa and I was officially a legal working resident of the United Kingdom.

Then after another short flight, and after being gathered by a slightly distraught fiery haired woman. I was off and on my way to Braendam family home....

-(Totally noticed how long this post was getting, So I decided to continue it a little later.)



2 comments:

Bacchus said...

Congrats on college and the new blog. I know that college will be an exciting time for you.

PS Auntie Yondalla sent me! It will be great to hear what you adventures you get into.

Granny said...

Auntie Yondalla sent me too.

Enjoy blogging. I'll be back.


View My Stats